View Single Post
Old 11-09-09, 01:38 PM
Fleabiscuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash
I think he's earned the right to live at whatever weight he chooses. Even at his current weight I believe he could out-ride you with one leg tied behind his back.

Lemond -- arguably the greatest American cyclist in history -- isn't going to "go away," nor should he.

Now. If you could turn back the clock, I'm guessing you would ask him to go away after you bought your shiny new bike with his name emblazoned on it, right?
I'm not going to bicker with you because we agree on several things. Lemond is a great American cyclist, a true hero in my book and nothing will ever change that fact. He's the second best American cyclist of all time AFIC. Also, the fact that he is a lawsuit-happy beachball-headed slob would not prevent me from riding a Lemond. They are cool bikes. He could also beat me in a bike race without breaking a sweat on his worst day (even after he puts the hurt on an all-you-can-eat buffet). And I'm guessing he could beat me as soundly in a hot-dog eating contest -but this is just an educated guess.

None of the above change the fact that Lemond is a guy who likes to sue people who do business with him. It appears he has sued everyone who has ever done business with him in the last decade and it appears to be Trek's turn. Also, he has been an outspoken opponent of LA (jealous?), without offering any factual evidence and, like it or not, LA is to Trek what Jordan was to Nike.

Lemond is a disgrace and I think he needs to go away to preserve what's left of the memory of the young innocent looking guy who proved to the world an American could win the greatest bike race in the world...three times!

Lemond and Armstrong share several similarities, except in every instance Armstrong has proven to be superior. Maybe Greg has the right to be angry, LA has surpassed him in every way possible. Let's take a look:

Lemond had one of the best comebacks in TDF history, winning in '89 with 39 shotgun pellets in his body (including 2 in his heart) after a hunting accident...Armstrong has THE best comeback in TDF history winning after beating STAGE 3 cancer.

Lemond has 3 TDF titles...Armstrong has 7 consectuve TDF titles.

Off the bike: Lemond is known as a bitter overweight guy who likes to sue people and make unfounded accusations about LA. Off the bike, Armstrong heads a foundation that supports people with cancer.

I hope Greg has the sense to go away and leave us with the memory of the guy he once was. A real hero, not the sad, bitter, bloated man he has become.

Like I said, just my opinion.