Old 11-09-09, 03:27 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Freeze-Off to the rescue AGAIN!! (stuck BB this time)

Wel,, I left what I think was the last component that would give me some de-insatllation problems on my Vitus Carbone 7 Frame that I am currently restoring. The BB. It has a shimano DA BL7400 BB that looked nice and clean from the outside but felt a little sticky after I took the cranks off. Was debating whether to even touch it, but after seeing the slightly beat up head races on the headset, I figured I might as well tackle at least an overhaul. Got myself a hooked Park Tools lockring spanner. and gave it a tug. Not surbprised that it's not budging, so I started using the trusty ole dead blow hammer to tap the end of the spanner......no go........ gave it some heftier hits.....do dice....plus I'm starting to bung up the lockring too!!.....Dang, it's seized on there! So I blasted the cup with the Freeze off to hopefully shrink it away from the lockring. Got it real cold and wet with the penetrant then tapped on the spanner again. First couple of hits, nothing, then then it started to move! So I got the adjustable side off with the bearings and spindle. So I was left with the fixed cup as my final big opponent to get this frame all cleaned up and dissasembled. I tried to ignore it and possibly put it off till next weekend, but I felt like the thing is challenging me for a fight. Thought about using the vise I have on a sawhorse, but I figure I'll give it a shot with my biggest adjustable wrench and see how things go. Well it didn't budge. Started really pushing on the wrench but stopped lest it slips off and wrecks the frame and the fixed cup. Soooooo it was Freeze-Off time again...... Blasted the cup from inside and out for a good long time to cool it down and shrink it. Put the big wrench on the flats again and said a little prayer. Quite a bit of reisitance at first and almost a slip off the flats, but to my amazement. it started moving! I can't believe I'm getting off this easy, after horror pictures in my mind of the destructive last resort nut and bolt solution for this fixed cup and I was amazed to see some corrosion between the threads and the BB. this shouldn't have come off that easy. All I can think of is the Freeze-Off worked again!
So now I narrowed down what works best for me for freeing up seized parts on bike frames. forget the Liquid wrench, PB Blaster and WD40, It's just Freeze-Off for me from now on!
Nice thing I noticed too about Freeze-Off is most of it evaporates away leaving very little oily residue on the bike and parts.

So if you have given up on PB blaster, Liquid Wrench and maybe even ammonia to free siezed parts, give Freeze-Off a shot and remember to be generous with the freezing blast application. get the part nice and cold and it will most likely come off pretty quickly without or minimal soaking.

Now I'm still debating whether to go with "Teriyaki" (Shimano DA BL7400) components or "Souffle" (Mavic/Stronglight/Spidel) with the restoration . I'll post a new thread tonight to show what Frech delights I amassed so far for the buildup.

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
85(?) Vitus Carbone 7 Plus