seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
That's perhaps right for NiCd batteries, but NiMH cells (before the low self-discharge variety) lose far more than this -- perhaps 3%/day, and even more the first day or two.

Now, this doesn't mean they're totally dead after 34 days (it's a rough rule of thumb, and the rate slows as the battery becomes more dead), but they're pretty close to it.
I think it's more than that, even for LSD.

My Eneloops come off charger at ~1.43v, and are down to 1.35-1.38v the next day. But it'll take them maybe a year to get to 1.25v after that.

Regular NiMH discharge much faster. Basically you need to recharge them after a week if you need more than 1.20-1.25v.

Eneloops are worth the additional cost just for the lack of hassle. I bought 24 Eneloops in AA and AAA a year ago, all are still good. I highly recommend them.

The capacity ratings are exxagerated by all mfgs - they're practically meaningless. I have some 2700mah Sanyo non-LSD from Batteryspace, and they don't even last as long as the Eneloops rated at 2000mah. Go figure. Also, 2 of the 8 died within a week.

I got a lot of junk from Batteryspace on my last order 8 weeks ago - buyers beware.

I noticed Thomas Dist has AA eneloops @ 4 for $9.47 after coupon code. Best price I could find, even cheaper than buying 8 AAs.

My Dinotte works fine with eneloops, or anything else for that matter as long as 4s V> ~4.0v.