View Single Post
Old 08-04-02, 10:22 AM
Les L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Derailleur Shifting Problem

Hi folks! Appreciate any time you can take to help me with this.

I upgraded my trike shifting from a 7-speed, 11-28 cassette, Mega-Range derailleur and MRX Gripshift to a 8-speed, 11-32 cassette, ESP 7.0 derailleur and ESP 7.0 Gripshift. I have some experience with the swapping of components so I am not a total newbie (subject to revision).

The problem is with the set up of the rear derailleur. I went through the standard procedure for setting up a new derailleur with the new cassette (install cassette, cut chain to length, install derailleur, install shifter, run cable, set high and low stops, run chain through derailleur, adjust indexing, check B-adjustment).

Consistently, after setting the indexing per several sources, the alignment is off on the 2nd largest sprocket leading to undesirable clattering. But the shift from the smallest to the 2nd smallest sprocket works well. If the clattering of the 2nd largest sprocket is adjusted out then the shifting is generally fouled up and the chain will not shift from the 1st to the 2nd smallest sprocket.

To some extent, this existed with the 7-speed arrangement as well tho occasionally I would hit that magic point occasionally where it worked perfectly.

Suggestions of what to look for or a modification to the adjustment of the indexing?

Thanks!

Les L