View Single Post
Old 11-17-09, 08:15 PM
solbey11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shmano 105 Issues

First off, I bought an 08 Trek 1.5 roadie last spring. First 'real' bike and I ended up loving it. It came with Shimano Sora, Tiagra, and Bontrager components. This summer I decided to upgrade so I went with a full Shimano 105 10spd group. And I am a bargain shopper so I got it all off of Ebay. I had the group installed my my LBS.

Now after a few months and a couple hundred miles, the left shifter doesn't work and the bottom bracket is creaking. I took it to the LBS for the creak and they said the cup loosened up and they retightened it. I told them to adjust the cables as well since it hadn't been done since the group was installed. The next ride the BB started creaking again and that's when the shifter stopped working.

After doing some searching I found the shifter is a common issue with the 5600 series but the BB just makes me angry. I did my research before I bought and almost everyone claimed the 105 series is a great quality group. But 2 of 8 components failed in a couple months and I am very disappointed. Should I just replace the BB and shifter and try again or should I sell what still works and 'make the leap' to Sram Rival or Force?

I'm just a newb looking for a little direction. And since I bought everything off of Ebay, I don't have any warranty to fall back on.