View Single Post
Old 11-23-09, 07:23 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Birthday Story

Up front disclaimer: The Post New Thread font is so small I can barely see it and the Preview Post function isn't working, nor is the spell check. So, editorial errors are probably par for the course.
=============================================================================
What a wonderful number 73 for me and what a difference a year makes.

Last year we celebrated my birthday at Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO. It is a first class restaurant. Food is excellent, presentation is superb and the servers are well trained and have excellent attitudes. Then I did my longest ride as of then; 31 miles on the Platte River Trail. After which I was bushed.

This year we again celebrated at the Flagstaff House. Again the food and service were without flaw. I have never had lamb prepared any better. The restaurant has my unreserved recommendation.

Since Saturday was The Day I decided to do a ride. I had it on good authority that the paths had been plowed so I took off. Not too far down the trail I ran into snow on top of ice and down I went. A few scrapes but no real damage. So, I walked my bike for awhile. The long and short is that I did about 20 miles around a local resevoir before it got dark. When the sun went behind the mountains chill rapidly followed.

Yesterday, Sunday, it was again afternoon before temperatures got above the +40F mark so I could ride. That left me with only about 3 1/2 hours before dark. As my friend Denver Fox will testify I am far from the worlds fastest cyclist and here in the Denver area I am riding at about 5000' higher elevation than at home. So, with only 3 days to acclimate it was highly unlikely I'd "ride my age". Maybe adjusted for altitude?

As it turned out I rode the Platte River and Cherry Creek Trails in Denver. A greybeard I talked to told me that was upwards of 55 miles for the roundtrip. I stopped along the way to admire Confluence Park and to visit a bit. I got back to my start just as it was getting dark. That is my longest ride to date at any altitude. What was nice was that unlike being bushed as I was last year I still had lots left in me. I stopped because of darkness, not fatigue.

The only downside is that Denver Fox was unable to join me for at least a part of the ride. But, I'll be back and he'll be healthier so there is time.

All in all a very nice day at an age by all rights I shouldn't have achieved. May all of you be as blessed as me and get far more than you deserve.