View Single Post
Old 11-25-09, 02:06 PM
filtersweep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, lets add in the extra weight of your levers, rim strips, extra tubes, flat kit, etc. and you'll see it is an even game again. The OP never mentioned weight as a compelling factor in choosing tubulars. And no, you don't HAVE to carry a spare. It might be advisable while just riding around, but I certainly don't carry a spare while racing.

To the OP- I would avoid any product with the name Tufo on it (except maybe the sealant, if you are into that sort of thing). It isn't much work to glue tubulars, and I fail to see the real advantage to tape (from what I can tell-- and I have never used it-- it looks like it is easier to install, and more difficult to properly remove.)

Changing a tubular actually takes LESS time than a clincher. Just use a pre-glued spare. And how can you use more than one layer of tape? Stick with glue.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Take a look at the weights between the tubular and clincher models of what you want to buy. Then add the weight of the tubuar tire you plan on using because you'll have to carry a spare. Tubies quickly lose their advantage when you think of them this way.