Old 11-28-09, 07:38 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
activities that complement cycling

I am a beginning cyclist. Today I went hiking up a fairly steep mountain. I tried to do this exact same mountain one year ago and only made if half way up, I was shaking really bad on the way down. This time I finished the mountain in the same time it took me to just do half and it was quite easy. Since the only workouts I have been doing are cycling and cycling related stretched I assume hiking and biking complement each other extremely well. I'm just wondering what other activities are the same? It sounds kind of like a simple question but I know in my case I couldn't run before I started cycling and I still can't really so it's not like every leg activity improves every other.

Also what exercises would help me to pedaling while standing? I really have a hard time pedaling while not seated; I was trying to ride with a guy that doesn't speak English, he was trying to teach me to climb better with my bike but since I couldn't stand on the pedals long it was hard. Tried spinning class last week and had the same problem, all the fat old ladies around me had no problem working out off the seat but i kept having to sit down.

Last edited by garethzbarker; 11-28-09 at 07:43 AM.