View Single Post
Old 03-27-05, 12:33 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My story...

I have always been about the same weight. Seven years (yes 7) ago I worked at a fast food place and gained 45 pounds in 2 years, yes not a huge amount but it pushed me to almost 260 pounds at 6'6". I was active in high school but through the long hours in the library I kept the weight. I was eating at my peak 4 jumbo jacks in a sitting, fries, etc when I worked fast food. I still can not believe I would eat that much.

I continued working in the industry, now at a super market. The constant running around let me lose a few pounds but not fast enough. Fast forward 6 months ago. I found a job working security at my local college, I got placed on a bike unit and fell in love with cycling. I was biking 8 hours, 25+ miles per day and the weight came off slowly. In 2 months I had dropped 5 pounds and rode over 2000 miles on my MTB.

I thought, would it not be cool to go and ride with the local bike club. I was hooked yet the weight did not come off. Slowly over the next month I began changing my eating habits, cut out most soda, candy bars and sweets to a minimum, etc, and began eating less. In november I rode in the local club itt and placed extremly well after only being on a road bike for 2 weeks. I was hooked and started base training to build up speed.

Over the next 3 months I dropped 25 pounds, now down to 230 pounds. I saw my first criterium and decided I wanted to race, joined a race team. Now I am almost at 220 pounds, I hope my race weight will be right at 220 pounds in the morning. I have lost 35 pounds in 4 months and the weight continues to come off slowly. I hope by end of summer I will be at 200 pounds, my ideal is around that weight.

All it took was a change in attitude. Now I have a hard time eating a full meal at fast food, fries make me sick, I drink almost no soda, it had been 3 months since I had a candy bar. I am getting stronger all the time, riding 5 - 6 days per week. I have now raced in 4 races and my 5th is tomarrow...