View Single Post
Old 03-27-05, 01:00 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I don't think most people would call mine a success story, but at least it's an improvement and a work in progress. My weight went up gradually to about 325 pounds by age 45. Predictably, I had a fairly mild heart attack and picked up three stents. I was also diagnosed with diabetes.

I was serious about cardiac rehab, started walking and switched to low fat, high carb diet and lost 140 pounds. I started cycling two years ago and I ride about 3000 miles a year. About 2/3 of that is at a pretty good pace, but I have never competed. I also continue to walk a lot, so I exercize 90 minutes or more everyday. However, after some emotional stress, a serious fall and quitting smoking, I have gained back about 50 pounds, so I'm 235 at 5'11". I obviously eat too much. Almost everything I eat is "healthy," so I prove the point that it ain't what you eat, it's how much. I also prove that exercize alone is not enough to lose weight or even maintain weight--although it certainly helps.

So--I have had a net loss of 90 pounds, which is holding steady. My blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar are all normal now, even without medicine. (I do take drugs for cholesterol and blood pressure because these also help prevent second heart attacks.) I am not totally satisfied with my weight, and I am currently developing a plan to take it off and keep it off. However, I am proud of the hard work I have devoted to my goals, and I'm especially proud of the progress I continue to make with my cycling.