View Single Post
Old 11-29-09, 02:40 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
You're right, kits aren't regulated by the feds at this point. States, however, may well categorize an electric bike as a moped and require licensing and insurance if it can go above a certain speed. As more e-bike hobbyists import larger and faster motors, I worry that it will only take several serious accidents to flip pubic opinion against e-bikes and possibly spawn laws that more strictly regulate or outright ban their riding on public roads. I hope I'm wrong.
I do know that if I was to use a gas engine assist, above a certain point, (I think it is 50cc in Maine) legally it becomes a moped with all the attendant issues and/or hassles.

"I worry that it will only take several serious accidents to flip pubic opinion against e-bikes and possibly spawn laws that more strictly regulate or outright ban their riding on public roads. I hope I'm wrong."

I hope you are wrong as well.