In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronocerous
Hey Machka,

So glad to hear from you...you're still my hero. Thanks for the pics on your website from your Australian tour.

I was on your website and checked out your article. I'm going to start increasing my longest ride by about 10% per week...I'd like to try mu century in July. Like many of yours, this one is going to be solo and unsupported and on flats (mind that prairie wind tho'). I'm really keen. Even if I konk out at 70 miles, hey that's still a good ride.

How are things in Alberta?

R
I just rode a century today myself, and it was COLD!! The weather here hasn't been so good lately. Plus I'm getting used to the hills around here. They are a bit of a challenge after so many years in Manitoba.

And a few more tips ...

As you increase your distances, aim to do a ride of at least 70 miles (and as much as 80 miles) two weeks before your century ride. Then back off a little bit and the next week do maybe a 50 miler, then the following week, the century.

Take it easy out there when you do your century, it's not a race and it really doesn't matter how long you take, within reason (the century "rules" suggest it be done in 24-hours and as all-at-once as possible). Just ride at a comfortable pace for you.

Eat properly - at least 250 calories per hour between your energy bars, sports drinks, and other stuff. Eating right goes a long way to completing a century comfortably. Practice your eating as you increase your distance.

And also, since you're doing the ride alone, pick a route where you know there will be petrol stations and convenience stores every 25-30 kms if at all possible. That way you'll have places to refuel along the way.

My first century was in 1994, and I rode a Venture (heavy, old department store road bicycle) with loose-fitting toe clips and runners with a fairly stiff sole. The only pieces of cycling gear I had on were a pair of shorts, helmet and gloves ... the rest of what I was wearing was "civvy-gear" (T-shirt, etc.). I did loops to and from my apartment (which can be a difficult way to do a century - tempting to quit), and didn't eat well at all. I ended up on the verge of bonking by 80 miles. I discovered you can get away with not having the "right" equipment, but you can't get away without eating!!