Old 12-01-09, 09:44 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the license, just get to the Registration desk by 7:50am and you'll be fine. You're in the first race of the day, so they'll be set up to get you you're number and one-day license.

Take the time to ride the course at least once, better twice, to get a feel for it. Watch how more experienced riders handle the course. There are places on every course that I would chicken out on, but then I see someone ride it smoothly. At that point, I just try to copy them. Also, I always find the courses more difficult during warm up than in the actual race (when competitive juices take over).

You're in the Cat4/U19 race with me - some guys are remarkably fast, others remarkably slow (e.g., me). There will be some getting off the bike and running. You'll bump into people, you'll fall over. If you end up getting lapped, just ride to the side to let the speed boys by. Just roll with it and have fun. When you're done, you'll wish there was another race next week.

As a first race, I think cross is a much better place to start than road races or crits. Everybody is pretty relaxed and encouraging.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)

Last edited by SpongeDad; 12-01-09 at 09:52 AM.