View Single Post
Old 12-02-09, 04:01 AM
alfonsopilato
eBiker

Bikes: CCM Moutain bike fitted with 408 Crystalyte motor, 48V 12 AH battery, 20 amp 48 v Crystalyte controller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowsurfer
Any updates on the new controller vs. the mini XLR cable? Have you got it working? How much was shipping to Toronto? Have you had trouble with police, since your bike is not legal? Will you modify your front brakes to large rotor discs?
Haven't had a chance to get the immediate start controller to work. I need to test the the hall wires, which I may have crossed when the hub motor spun out of the square when I didn't have the torque arm in place... I spoke to power in motion's tech lead and he seems to be ok with me taking my time to figure things out, which is nice since I'm overwhelmed as it is with family and work etc.. since the bike is working as it is it did not take priority, but yes I will need to get to it soon.

I actually have been stopped twice by cops, but not for speeding. My average speed is about 40 kmh. I was stopped for not stopping at a stop sign beside my home. The stop sign was at a T intersection where to my right there was no open road, so I just looked to my left saw no cars and just sped along, little did I know a cruiser was keeping up with me... pulled up beside me and yelled: YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO STOP! to which i replied: "Yes sir! You're right!". Ever since then I stop at all stop signs (actually not full stop, but just enough so that when i release the brakes the momentum is still enough to get the motor kicking in ). Cops have been happy with me since ...

I got stopped another time for taking a left turn, again beside my home.. oh btw, did i mention there is a cop station right across :-)))

ok so back to the second event. I took a right turn goig down highway shoulder against traffic, which in my area is sort of allowed since there is no real ideal road connection between where i live and the rest of civilized roads without making a huge detour. So... as i was saying, we're kind of allowed to ride the shoulder. in my case i was coming down the left shoulder which is for ucoming traffic.. and that is ok, as long as i'm on the shoulder, cops consider it as a sidewalk for our benefit i guess. now here is the catch... it comes to a light and of course cars on the far right lane can take a left.. and here i was with a green light, so i cross AND take a left turn while a honda is also at the green light on the far right lane , and btw i can see it clearly that it had stopped to flash its lights to take a left turn, and i knew it had seen me and that it had come to a stop before making its turn, so i turn left and it turns left after me. well... ladies and gents, the honda follows me down the path and pulls up beside me and the woman says: YOU KNOW YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TURN LEFT AT THAT LIGHT FROM WHERE YOU ARE.. to wihch i replied: YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT ALL CYCLISTS CANNOT TURN LEFT AT THIS LIGHT? YOU MUST BE JOKING ME! to which she replied: (and btw we are yelling at this point since we're talkiing back and forth across her car window and i'm on my bike and i got my helmet on etc.. so we had to yell) so she says : I'M JUST LETTING YA KNOW THAT YOU COULD GET HIT AND THAT BEST PRACTICE IS TO TAKE THE RIGHT LANE TO TURN LEFT,YOU'RE STILL CONSIDERED A VEHICLE YOU KNOW?! I WON'T GIVE YOU A TICKET JUST LETTING YOU KNOW. HAVE A GOOD DAY! to which i said: CHEERS! wondering why she said that last part..

well.. that little honda and that little lady was a cop, and in my rear view helmet mirror i could see her pulling into the cop station (did i mention there is a caop station beside my home?) ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ok.. so i would put smiley faces and all but errrm. this forum just kills me i can't find all my old thingamies :-(((

ok.. regarding disc brakes: i would love that, i hear they are more reliable.. however my current setup doesn't allow disc brakes... so i got arch rivals and they are holding up pretty good. the brakes are very responsive, the only thing is you must absolutely change brake pads every couple of months or so , at least in my case. i go to mountain coop. brakes sell there for $3 a pair. i keep my brakes tightened at all times, the moment i see i've gone too far on the handle bar screw i know i need to replace my brakes. i change the back ones more often than the front ones, seen the back ones get used up more

Last edited by alfonsopilato; 12-02-09 at 04:24 AM.