Thread: Frustrated!
View Single Post
Old 12-02-09, 07:53 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Go dog Go
Weight training builds lean muscle mass which in turn burns calories as you sit at your computer posting.

Cardio alone is not your friend IMO [and that of people that acually know what they're talking about.].
I'll bet I could lift weights for an entire year and not add enough lean muscle mass to increase my daily calorie burn to the point where it would equal a half-hour bike ride! Muscle may burn more calories than other types of tissue, but it doesn't burn significantly more, especially when you're sitting around doing nothing...

The best thing I've found for breaking through a plateau is to vary your training routine. If you ride the same route every day at the same intensity level, you'll quickly hit a plateau. When that happens, it's time to make radical changes to your training routine. I typically vary the length of rides, their intensity, the terrain (road vs. off-road, hills vs. flat), and the amount of recovery time in between rides. I typically use the same riding routine for 2-6 weeks, then switch to something else when I start to plateau. Keeps the riding interesting and keeps the body working to adapt.