Silverbraze 
Tell it as it is

Bikes: ones that I ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
That was the idea. On the another board there was a lot of boosting of professional qualifications, talk about insurance. You can probably still find the thread. There was some talk about the S&S couplings which aren't sold retail either, and I think he became convinced that selling his lugs to the hoi polloi was a bad idea. I never understood it, why he would want bikes out there that could in any way be mistaken as his, even if made by pros, didn't compute. Though that wasn't the issue.

The bike thing kinda mystifies me. On the one hand there is this charmingly naive belief in insurance, while on the other there is this fear of the amateur (liability wise). In most cases the amateur thing is a shield while the pro is (insert large picture of screw). Take the whole aircraft thing where the fact something is built by an amateur is the actual government strategy around the cost of law suits. Anyway, it is what it is.
I am not going to speak for Richard or about liability
but I will say this
"charmingly naive belief in insurance"
is a strange perception that does not sit well with me and I cannot understand how it would mystify you.
Any builder who takes $ for their frame work or gives frames to friends at cost etc, Insurance is about care and regard to them.
Just in case they need it

"why he would want bikes out there that could in any way be mistaken as his, even if made by pros,"
Pros make frames with insurance and so they can buy his lugs and many do.

Do you make and then sell aeroplanes to people with out insurance.
Do you make and give aeroplanes to friends with out insurance.
Unlike aeroplanes, there is no certification for the manufacture of frames by pros or Gladdies having fun in the back shed.......
can you even fly an aeroplane , home built or otherwise with out insurance?
and I will add
I do sell lugs and bits to any body
because I pay for product liabilitly insurance to all goodies sold to every one, including those in the USA.

is that "charmingly naive" ?

or a waste of my hard earned dollars?
www.llewellynbikes.com
www.framebuilders.org