Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LoRoK
I thought the track's geometry was oval?
haw.

Originally Posted by ADSR
As far as I can tell, track frames generally have steeper head tubes and seat tubes, higher bottom brackets, and a shorter wheelbase. The specific geometry will vary from model to model, but I don't think there is an official track geometry.
Most of this has nothing to do with a desire to effect handling, but more to do with efficiency. You might think that a shorter wheelbase is desired for quicker handling, but it is just the by product of using shorter chain stays. The shorter the chain stays, the stiffer the rear triangle, the shorter the chain, the lighter the bike, etc. The bottom bracket is high because there's no real need for the riders to put their foot down or dismount from the bike all the time (unlike you, riding on the street). The height of the bottom bracket really has no effect on the handling of the bike, and makes maybe a barely negligible difference in the ride.

If you're riding on the street, you really have no need for a super stiff rear triangle, or a high bottom bracket. If anything those features just make riding on the street more annoying and less comfortable.

OP: if you really want to know, go ask the folks in the frame building forum.

Last edited by Mos6502; 12-09-09 at 01:39 AM.