View Single Post
Old 12-11-09, 07:16 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsol
I'm gonna put down a decent breakfast tomorrow morning and see if that affects it.
You know, I bet it will! But that breakfast will only be part of the solution. I found this problem --and yes, this has happened to me-- goes away as soon as you focus on it. These days I stop at cart at the corner and pick up $3.50 worth of coffee and donuts just before I get to the office. Of course I dont' eat it until I'm at my desk, but the mental effort of smiling and saying "good morning!" to the foodcart man and anyone whom might be waiting in line there is enough to render me more or less polite. I'm sure I'd get the same result by singing a verse of "Yellow Submarine" on the last block of my ride.

___

But whatever it takes, I make sure not to repeat what happened a few years ago, at this time of year... I was getting off my bike in front of the office and a pretty girl comes walking out the door I'm about to go in, and I'm standing there, completely slack jawed, totally spaced out look in my eye, and she says "hi!" and I'm I'm standing there, completely slack jawed, totally spaced out look in my eye, and I try to say something, and she's gone, and dammit, I was still standing there, completely slack jawed, totally spaced out look in my eye.