Old 12-13-09, 05:07 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Recess
Cool - I just remember the difference on an old bike when I jumped from a triple to a double - the speed difference was noticeable. I just wondered if there was a similar jump I'm missing out on.
It wasn't the triple that made it slow.

Anyway, talking about going faster is pretty meaningless without knowing how fast you are riding now (average speed, distance, terrain).

As long as you are using decent equipent (and Tiagra/105 is decent), there isn't really any equipment/components you can buy that will increase your speed noticebly

===============

Originally Posted by mechBgon
If there's one bolt-on upgrade that will definitely cause measurable speed gains, it's an aero bar. At cruising speeds on level ground, I typically get 1-2mph boost when I'm on the aero bar.
There is this (again, it's hard to attribute any real meaning without knowing the average speeds).

One way you can get more speed without spending money is to use the drops more. Things that contribute to improving your aerodynamics significantly will yield the greatest benefit.

===============

Originally Posted by blamp28
The biggest bang for the buck is probably a good set of wheels. Lighter rims decrease rotational mass and allow you to accelerate quicker.
People keep saying this but I've seen nothing that indicates how much this has on speed.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-13-09 at 05:18 PM.