View Single Post
Old 12-14-09, 07:40 AM
techieelectric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom bracket creak/overtightening

This is my first post on here so hopefully I won't make too many stupid mistakes.

I recently bought a very old Spanish Zeus racer in a fairly poor state and have been trying to fix it up a bit. The crankset and bottom bracket are both Solida, and the bottom bracket is square-tapered. One problem I have is a bottom bracket creak/ clicking noise which has been annoying me for a while. I've regreased and re-adjusted the bottom bracket twice now but each time the creak has come back after about a week or so of light riding. I'm quite certain it isn't because the bottom bracket is loose.

My lock-ring tool doesn't fit the lock ring exactly and so I can't completely tighten the lock-ring although I don't know how important that is, I suspect the bottom bracket could tighten as I ride and that's causing the noise. Another thing is that I was riding in the rain recently enough and the noise stopped and only came back when the bike dried, I suppose that could be the water deadening the sound although it seemed strange. It also could be because some of the components are too old although the bearings and the bearing surfaces seem fine.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Daniel