Old 12-16-09, 08:02 AM
rtciv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
I gather the wheel isn't original to the trike?
Correct. It's of a smaller diameter than the original, too (the brakes have been lowered).

Originally Posted by dabac
That axle looks kinda chunky compared to a front wheel. Could it be that the axle isn't resting at the bottom of the dropouts, but is rather sitting balanced right at the opening? That would explain why the inside washer is sitting at an angle.
The first outside washer is also an axle retaining washer, the kind that you normally find on forks w/o "lawyer lips", or axle retaining tabs. That washer isn't merely round, there's a "claw" on it (pointing to the right in the pic). That claw is supposed to hook into a hole in the fork , drilled right above the dropout.
The hole should be on the outside face of the drop out, but may be on the inside face as well.
Yea I'm not sure why that washer is on there. There are no slots in the dropout to receive the tab on it.

Originally Posted by dabac
Also, there's little point in using a knurled nut against a regular washer.

On further consideration, that wheel will put torque on the axle. On the right side this torque will act as to tighten the axle bolt, but if the left side is threaded in the same direction, drive torque will act as to unscrew the axle bolt. There should be something else in place to deal with the torque. If the thing that I think is an axle retaining washer is shaped after the axle flats rather than having a circular hole, then this could be it. If it is, it makes it even more important that the washers with the claw is securely anchored and prevented from rotating.
hmm, yes. I assume the washers came with the new electric wheel and perhaps were intended for a fork with the hole/slot for the axle-retaining washer. I'll see what I can find about electric-assist wheels in general.