View Single Post
Old 03-29-05, 01:50 PM
clevernamehere

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for all the feedback!
I've got a first draft pulled together. I may have to shorten it up though... it got a bit long.

Comments? Suggestions?

In response to Cyclists must heed rules to be treated as vehicles – The StarPhoenix, Monday March 28, 2005:

The author brings to light the frustration many motorists feel this time of year when bicycles begin to come out in force. As a bicycle commuter I share many of his frustrations with those who operate bicycles in an unsafe or illegal manner. It is unfortunate that he brings up the issues in such a derogatory way. We needn’t dismiss all cyclists as irresponsible individuals simply because some refuse to educate themselves regarding proper use of a bicycle as a vehicle.

It frightens me somewhat that the author states, “I will share the road only with bikes that have the required features mentioned above.” Is he saying that he intends to run down cyclists he sees who don’t have lights, horns or licenses? Is he advocating premeditated vehicular assault? I suppose this would rid the city of bad cyclists, but I hardly think it’s an appropriate solution. The fact that a vehicle is operated inappropriately does not remove its status as a vehicle nor its operator’s rite to life.

The author poses the question “If bikes are vehicles, too, where are their horns? You can’t hear them until they are at your side…” Is he suggesting that all bikes be equipped with loud horns and honk continuously as they ride near cars to ensure the drivers are aware of their presence? A much simpler and less noisy solution is for operators of all vehicles (including bicycles) to pay attention to their surroundings.

City of Saskatoon bylaw 6884 requires the use of lights and reflectors at night. It also outlines what is considered appropriate operation of bicycles within Saskatoon. The bylaw includes provision for fines to cyclists for non-compliance. It is unfortunate that many motorists and cyclists are not aware of this bylaw.

Many motorists are also ignorant of the rules of the road and safe methods of sharing the road with cyclists. Many are not aware that cyclists must obey the same traffic laws as motorists. Many are not aware that a cyclist has the rite to “take the lane” when it is not wide enough for cars to pass within the lane. Many under-estimate the speed obtainable by cyclists and turn in front of them, cutting them off. Many fail to check their mirror before opening their door when parked.

Although licensing fees could be a small source of revenue for the city, they could also discourage cycling. We should be encouraging the use of bicycles rather than discouraging it. One more (properly operated) bicycle on the road means one less car creating traffic tie-ups, one more open parking space, one less car contributing to the pollution of our air, and possibly one less person admitted to the cardiac care unit thanks to a healthier lifestyle.

The best solution to frustrations between cyclists and motorists is better education of all involved. I highly recommend that motorists and cyclists alike read Saskatoon bylaw 6884 regarding operation of bicycles in the city of Saskatoon. Another excellent resource is the “Share the Road” brochure distributed not long ago by SGI on behalf of the City of Saskatoon. Both of these resources are posted on the City of Saskatoon web site.