Old 12-17-09, 12:03 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
If there IS a stub, try using a pair of locking vice grips on it before slotting it . Then do what hillrider says. If that fails, your only option is drilling it out. If the drill fails you may still be lucky enough to get a tap through it and have the threads hold. I've never had much luck using easy-outs on high torque m5 snap-offs like that.

Originally Posted by HillRider
Center drilling a 5 mm bolt to allow use of an EZ-out is tricky at best. Is there any stub still sticking out of either end? If so you could slot it with a Dremmel and a cut off wheel and try to remove it with a screwdriver.

it did have a stub, but i didn't think of dremmeling out a slot for a screwdriver. i used the vise-grip method, and it wore away the stub without any luck. however, i think if i had made a slot with the dremel, the slot would have broken under the torque of a screwdriver.

Originally Posted by joejack951
I highly recommend the step drilling method then retap from the inside of the fork. This will help guide the tap through starting with the hopefully good threads. Starting a tap straight in a cross-threaded or otherwise damaged threaded hole isn't easy without a fixture.
good idea. the bold did not reach the back half of the threads. i should be able to get a good tap going from that side of the eyelet once the old bolt is removed (and if i've damaged any threads in the process).