View Single Post
Old 12-17-09, 04:25 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Well I am going to try it. Told my wife and have decided to really work at training. I have been working on sprints and short climbs but I can tell climbing is never going to be one of my favorite parts of a ride. Now that I have committed mentally I will have to spend more time getting ready physically. Like some have suggested I am more interested in finishing. Anything else will just be icing on the cake.
A good way of training is down at the gym. When I trained for my offroad rides- I spent the winter at the gym as well as getting out on the bike. 1 hours cardio by spending 10 minutes on each of 6 different machines worked wonders on getting me fit. I started at a low base by setting the machines at level 8 out of 20 and went up one level each week. Never went above 16 except on the cross trainer but each week was a new level in what I could achieve. When I got to level 12- I decided to see how fit I was by going all out- as in sprinting on each machine for as long as possible for one of the two sessions I spent there each week. Don't think they helped physically but it did push me to the limit and I knew that when on the rides- I could still keep going when it hurt. The mental side of pain is a limit that you have to find.

Spike Milligan