hxzero
Needs to Ride More

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
For a bike from the 1970s, maybe the best choice would be some vintage levers. I don't know but I believe the calipers were much the same for the upright and drop bars. Besides, if he scored a set of vintage levers on ebay, they would have a period-correct look which matched the bike.

To the OP, by cable ends I mean the piece of alloy which is cast onto the end of the cable. It is what fits into the brake lever and gives it something to pull against. Some are shaped like a banjo, some are shaped like a potato masher, and there are different sizes.

You might get more help on the classic and vintage forum, though I bet many of its readers also check out this forum. I am not absolutely positive when Motobecane switched to the standard 25.4 bar clamp dia, which was then changed to 26, then 31.8, but someone there would know. They could probably also tell you what your chances were of finding an old, French size, upright handlebar.

Before you spend too much, maybe check out some nice Japanese or Taiwanese mixtes. They might come with the bars you want, and would be easier to change over in case they came with drop bars, and you could probably sell the Grand Jubilee to someone who would appreciate its oddities instead of decrying how inconvenient they made modification.
The funny thing is that I've always been on the lookout for a nice Japanese mixte, but I could never find a good one within my budget (less than...$200?) on LA/OC craigslist. This one was much cheaper than that, and in good condition as well. I don't mind a little bit of inconvenience...that just makes things more rewarding.

Or I could just convince my sister than she likes drop bars.