Thread: Trek 900T on CL
View Single Post
Old 12-21-09, 06:09 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cras108er
Thanks for all the input everyone. One final question. In terms of quality, is this a low end (entry level) bike or mid range? I know it isn't on the upper end of the scale. I guess I'm asking if this is similar to buying a huffy off the rack at Walmart. Thanks again.
No, it's not. The big box store and many "internet brands" are not tandems at all. They don't even fit into the usual 3 stage, "entry level, mid-range, high-end" matrix. They are "TLOs", or Tandem-Like-Objects" .... not designed OR assembled correctly from the git-go, and you have to start off by taking the bike apart to grease and adjust every bearing, true and round the wheels, upgrade the brakes, etc, and after all that you still have cheap components that barely work and a sub-par frame.

The T900, on the other hand, IS what most on this list would call "entry level" in that it has a properly designed frame, (even if a bit heavy), and entry level components that actually work.

If you want to hold out for a better/lighter/faster used tandem as a starter, OK. But I can't see how you'd get hurt with this one. I made the statement earlier that you could always get your money back at the $400 price point. But if and when you decide that tandemming is for you and it becomes time to ante up $3000 or $5000 on a new machine, I usually suggest keeping the original bike for the occassion of:

"Gee, that looks like fun! Can WE try it?"
"Uh, yeah, sure! Ride THAT one!"

The heavier/older/cheaper/wider tire second bike also becomes beater bike/grocery-getter/foul weather bike/low-speed fun ride bike/off-road or bad-road bike, etc.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike