View Single Post
Old 12-21-09, 12:48 PM
Racingboo

Bikes: Nothing too special - a Globe Sport, I think it's called. It's a hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
StanSeven: Yep, tris are as expensive as you make them. I've seen people riding mountain bikes passing others on high end tri-specific bikes.
I at first thought I'd just do the tri on my hybrid, but in truth, I think whatever happens a road bike will be a good investment for me. There's a beautiful Lapierre in my LBS for €1000, middle of the range, and it should do me for the next ten years or so then, no? Even if I can get it cheaper elsewhere, I've come a long way with this shop, they've always been very helpful with maintaining the bike and to me it's a matter of investing in that support as well as in the bike.

If it turns out I can't afford this bike, I'll start looking for a decent secondhand one.

I'll also be honest about the fear - just about every single person lining up before the start that day is scared. They are scared about the challenge ahead, whether they will live up to their expectations, and will they even finish. It is scary, but isn't a little fear what makes life exciting?
Absolutely! And I believe we need to step out of our comfort zones, physically and mentally, to be truly healthy.

Jetta: I clicked your link, nice work, I also envy you for being from South Africa thats my dream spot to visit one day, I want to surf the south around the Cape Town area.
Thank you! And South Africa is indeed a fantastic country, though I'm much better suited to Ireland and I'm much happier here. SA is well worth a visit and Cape Town's beaches are breathtaking. Just be crime-aware when you go, and you should be fine.

I guess well see what happens in March, I just got back from the doc and I'm 10lbs heavier than 6 months ago, so I start training tomorrow-no excuses!
lol, I thought with your height your weight was okay! I'm 5'7 and though I have only a vague idea what I weigh, I think I'm kind of average. So enjoy your advantage, I'll have no such thing

Thanks again for your replies, it's really taken some of the anxiety away for me.