Old 12-22-09, 05:10 AM
griftereck

Bikes: Grifter BSA 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cable control Idea.

I think bikes that have lots of cables flopping about all over the place are messy. Ive an idea that there should be noodle type cable guides that go into holes in the frame tubes. The guide would stop the outer casing on the outside of the frame tube. Then the bare inner wire would run inside the tube to a guide at the other end of the tube. I originally thought it could just have a 6mm hole for the guide to go through, as thats what bikes with internal cables have. Like the Raleigh 20. But that would be tricky to fish the inner wires out of there. Especialy if there was several cables. So maybe a 10mm hole.

the guides could be used on Handle posts. The outer cables from the controls could be tubular metal as they wouldnt have to be flexible. Then the lower guide would be above the hinge. There would have to be enough flexible outer casing for the handle post hinge and steering to work. I suppose there would only be room on the front part of the main frame tube to run the cables inside the frame.

The guides could be moulded in plastic like gear cable guides that go under BB shells are.

I was going to make a protoype for my city bike. Its got 2 brakes and a gear cable. So would have 3 cables on the handlepost. Then 2 on the frame. The handle post hinge is on the same side as the front brake. But the gears and rear brakes on the other side. I geuss the cables could enter on one side of the tube and exit on another side.

Like any ideas for inventions. I suppose the product is allready on the market. Just not found it yet.