Old 12-29-09, 08:54 AM
Terry_Zak

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Specialized Allez, Iron Mountain Adventure (Hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie from Western Massachusetts (North Hatfield)

I've read a lot of posts on this site over the last month or so, but decided to join in!

I have really just gotten into cycling this year. Prior to that it was family rides for 5-6 miles. But I became a new Diabetic in March of this year; which changed a lot of things for me.

Through nutritional improvements and cycling, I've lost 40 pounds in 2009. I also dropped two BP meds and two cholesterol meds, due to making so much progress. My Triglycerides and Cholesterol are both under 100, and BP is in the 115/64 range.

I could not have done this without cycling, and my passion for this sport, or way of life, continues to grow.

My normal ride is a 28-mile loop with mixed flats/hills. Occasionally I make two loops around for a 56-miler, which is respectable on a hybrid bike. Western MA is beautiful, and I'm lucky to have mostly safe roads to travel.

My present ride is a 2007 Iron Mountain Adventure (hybrid), and put about 1,000 miles on it this year.

I want to gear up to do some charity rides for the American Diabetes Association in 2010. So I purchased a 2007 Specialized Allez (24-spd) last month for $225, and even though it is too big for me (XXL) I could not pass up the deal. I purchased a 2003 Specialized Sequoia frame, and am going to transfer all of the components from the Allez over to it. I also just purchased a 2005 Specialized Sequoia Elite (27-spd).

Presently at 205 (5'-8", muscular), I'd like to lose another 30 pounds in 2010. Therefore, trying to ride through the winter is important to me. I'm struggling with the winter rides, and posted a new thread in Winter/Jackets

I have a wife and two boys (5 and 8), and while I can't say they "understand" the cycling, they put up with it/me! I'm sure several of you can relate to this.

Kind Regards,

Terry T.