View Single Post
Old 12-30-09, 08:03 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
IMHO, Nitto makes the nicest looking racks. Their M-12 is one of the few front racks available and the nicest looking by far. It fits best with cantilever brake posts, but Nitto makes similar models that fit frames with caliper brakes. The Nitto rear racks are equally nice. Part of the reason they look nice, to me, is they have a chrome finish, while most other racks sold in the US are flat black, which looks fine with some frames but not others.

I put a Nitto M-12 on the font of my Bob Jackson commuter-touring bike, but opted for a Tubus Cargo on the back. I ordered it from England so I could get the silver finish, which is not available in the US. Although not as stylish as the comparable Nitto Campee rack, it is much less expensive yet stronger and lighter. I couldn't justify spending $160 on a Nitto Campee rack when I could get a Tubus Cargo for about $90. Tubus makes some very nice looking racks that are less functional and lighter than the Cargo, but I wanted a rack that would be capable of carrying panniers and fairly heavy loads for touring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BJ-front rack.jpg (42.3 KB, 27 views)
nitto campee.jpg (4.0 KB, 233 views)
tubus cargo silver.jpg (5.0 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by tarwheel; 12-30-09 at 08:09 AM.