View Single Post
Old 12-30-09, 08:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
This thread is useless without ... locations! Bob Ross, where are you, and how common are cycle-commuters there?

Yesterday, it was 22ºF and extremely windy. I wore ... TOO LITTLE! I'm not a cycle-commuter, since I work at home, but I do as many local errands and client visits as possible. I went to my therapist who is about 1.4 miles from home. Normally, it's an easy commute, and normally the cold doesn't bother me, but man oh man. I had my wool trousers on, a dress shirt, a sweater, a gator, safety goggles, gloves, and a helmet. I should have worn something under my trousers, a second sweater, and a balaclava. I have a skull cap for under my helmet but I can't find it, and I don't own a balaclava yet. My goggles didn't work this time, and I had to close one eye and squint the other one because the wind was so strong. Also, the wind was extremely strong on my downhills on the way there, so strong that I had to pedal extremely vigorously DOWNHILL. It was so hard that it was insulting.

But lessons learned, and I have no regrets.

I do wonder how I would fare in colder climates. I don't get cold as easily as the average person, but I was really at my limit. I suppose that's mostly because I wasn't properly dressed.

Wind chill was about 1ºF.

Is it as windy in Canada and Minnesota as it is here? I think we had 30 mph gusts.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.