View Single Post
Old 01-02-10, 05:37 PM
NinetiesKid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain gear/Cold off bike clothing

I know similar topics have been beaten to death, and did some searching, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

So I go to school in Atlanta, live car free, my daily commute is about 6 miles at about 20-25 minutes. In the 4 months I have been here, it has rained more than it has in the last 4 years in the state (literally). The unusual element is, I moved here after being born and raised in South Florida, so for me, it is considerably colder here than what I am used to.

What I'm looking for is some decent rain pants, but they don't have to keep me bone dry for like 20 miles or 2 hours of riding. I'm fine with getting sweaty, just don't want to be soaked and cold (right now I'm using nothing). I'll probably get some booties to keep my feet dry and warm and have already gotten some gloves.

My main concern is the jacket. Again I want something rain resistant for 20-25 minutes of riding in rain. However, I want to also have the option of using this jacket as a regular item of clothing. My current wardrobe has left me pretty chilly the last week or two of riding as the heaviest items I have are really light sweaters. It would be nice to have something to wear those sweaters under and perhaps look somewhat aesthetically pleasing for casual wear off the bike for going out to eat, drink etc.

I'd really like this jacket to be a multi-tasker. I don't have a lot of money (student remember?) but if one article of clothing can have several uses (cold, rain, wind, casual wear) then I may be fine with spending a bit of money. The last two weeks it has been getting down into the lower 20's with normal wind-chill and even colder at bike speeds. Allegedly it isn't supposed to get much colder and will stay this way for a while yet.

Any suggestions, advice, or other threads would be much appreciated. I'm used to just riding in the rain and changing when I arrive as it never gets cold and rains where I'm from. Thanks in advance!