View Single Post
Old 01-03-10, 02:10 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I haven't noticed that on our customers' HT-II bikes, whether road or mountain. Where'd you hear this? Maybe you're thinking of some other brand of crankset... when I was working at a Specialized dealership, we had quite a few Allez owners walk in with their left crankarm in their hand. What were those... FSA or Sugino, I believe.

Anyway, Caad 8, here's your item if you need to buy one online: http://aebike.com/product/ultegra-fc...r2756-qc30.htm

I own an Ultegra 10 road bike, and have for 3.5 years. I periodically have to removed the BB cups to grease and re-torque both the cups and the crank arms to get rid of little creaks and such. So my experience is first hand. Even if it's not technically the crank arm that's loose....but instead the BB Cups...You still have to remove the crank arms first...which means you need that cap to reinstall them at proper tension. I've been told by at least one LBS that this is typical. I've even heard a mechanic say that they have better luck with Ultegra 9 BB/cranksets staying torqued than with the 10 speed external cups. I can't comment on that claim though as I have no personal experience.

-Jeremy