Old 01-04-10, 08:13 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
Hmm, becoming a pump thread ... a few comments - I use to have trouble getting tires up to a high pressure using the topeak morph because the lock on head kept slipping off and it was a real nuisance to hold it on with one hand while pumping with the other. Solution was to use the pump in schrader mode with a presta valve adapter. It locks much better to the schrader valve and the presta valve adapter threads onto the the tire valve. 120 psi no problem. However, I now have a carry along pump solution I like much better than the road morph - Biologic Zorin Pump. This pump doubles as a seat post and comes in at 450 grams - making it lighter than the sum of most pumps + the seat post. I have no problems reaching 120+ in under a minute. The seat becomes the pump handle, so it allows you to use both hands to pump, greatly reducing the fatigue you get with a one arm pump. It requires no mounting hardware and doesn't clutter up the frame or take up space in your bike bag because it is the seat post. Disadvantages: must use with a presta adapter. The presta adapter that comes with it is junk and should be replaced with one that has a gasket like the Kool Stop. It is a bit of an inconvenience to remove and replace the seat post and if you grease the post you have to be careful not to get your hands greasy. I wish the tube was a little longer but it works once you get used to it. There is no built-in pressure gauge. My work around is to count the number of strokes it takes to get to the desired pressure from zero and then pump that number of strokes after I get a flat. It is a one bolt type seat post and many, including myself, prefer the easier to adjust two bolt system.
Nice tip on the adapter. Also, I had no idea such a seatpost/pump thingy existed! That is way cool.