Old 01-06-10, 07:09 AM
57rebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! The Atlanta Constitution article was great. Some of the other research I did showed that the TdG was run by a not for profit foundation not dedicated to bike racing, but to raising funds for a cause. I also read that the Foundation paid out to the cause in 2007, perhaps 2008. That would seem odd if it is true in that they did not, it would appear ("pocket change in the account right now") manage to maintain sufficient reserves for ongoing operations.

Some of the remarks re politics are interesting as well. Even if it were a not positive for the State of Georgia, political haymakers would likely spin it as pork. In a rational world, the net would carry the day, but the world of politics is not rational.

The article also suggests the TdG is a $3.5M endeavor. Does anyone know where all that money goes? Surely not much goes into purse?
Is all of the revenue from sponsors? Are there meaningful entry fees? (Likely not as I puzzle this through, a few hundred riders at $1000/rider would total just a few hundred thousand dollars, and I don't know that pro bicycle racers/teams pony up any money at all)

Is the CA race an economic success? Why?