View Single Post
Old 08-09-02, 12:58 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may be off base here, but I'd imagine consuming alcohol in the glycogen gap cold be a little dangerous. Wouldn't there be some kind of ketoacidotic reaction?
It is relatively minor in the short term. Ketoacidosis is formed as a product of gluconeogenesis. The body produces ketones (a member of the acetone group of compounds) in response to gng. Ketones are quickly expelled from the body, mainly in urine, but in gas form they are expelled through the lungs. In extreme cases, the breath smells quite fruity. In any case, ketones are extremely toxic, and virtually no organ is left unscathed. In truth, the ketones produced are trace residues and seldom cause any problem - normally.

As I understand the research moreover, though the glycogen debt lasts for about 30-45 minutes, insulin receptors are more sensitive for 1-2 hours after an intense workout. Consequently, those with functioning insulin receptions [what are they called -- delta cells, or something like that?] will metabolize glucose more efficently for quite a while after a ride...
That's the great thing about exercise. Insulin stimulates the uptake of glucose using one of a handfull of specific glucose transporters (GLUT-4 more precisely). Exercise opens new metabolic pathways, and as a result, cells produce more glucose transporters and that provides a greater potential to increase insulin sensitivity. Insulin is produced in the beta cells, the delta cells produce somatostatiin that helps to regulate the insulin (beta) and glucagon (alpha). Insulin has 1/2 life of about 5mins once it is in blood serum. It degrades naturally in the liver (80% is targeted at the liver). Following exercise, and I can't remember the exact physiology involved, but there is something called the Krebs cycle that explains the conversion of glucose/energy ultimately into adenosinetriphosphate (ATP). As a part of the overall integrated process, insulin sensitivity is boosted. The 1/2 life is still 5 mins but you get more bang from your buck - sorry to put it so crudely. Excessive insulin (hyperinsulinaemia) is linked to heart disease, not on its own but because insulin the primary fat building hormone. The more fat there is in free circulation, the greater the potential to obstruct blood flow. Then again, we all know how good exercise is for the heart anyway. Did we ever need a better reason to go riding?