Old 01-08-10, 12:40 AM
wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Detained for messing with bikes. WOW

I locked my bike up at work.
I went to change my clothes into a uniform.
I came out of the bath room from changing.
I was met by three police officers.
They wanted to know what I was doing near the bike rack
They alleged I was messing with bikes
I did nothing and cited this.
They let me go.
I started work.

Ok this is probably one of those feel good not so feel good stories.

Background I work as a security officer at a University.

I arrive at work, and go to lock my bike up by the outside rack. I paused a bit to relax from my 12 mile ride before locking my bike up. I then take the front tire off and proceed to to struggle as I always do in locking my bike up. The whole time the University cops are watching me. Unknown to me.

So I finally get my bike locked up. I always double check my locking job. .
I walk into work, in the meantime the police are converging on me trying to detain me. .

I walk into work and go to the the bathroom to change my clothes. I come out of the bathroom and 2 cops along with a bike cop are ready to detain me.

I put my gear down as ordered, and they go through the warrant stage. The police ask me about my bike, which is easy I love it. They then let me go obliviously not messing with bikes. I am most certain that my previous bike locking (I have been working here and locking my bike up for the last month) was a factor here. They had a description of me down to a to every detail. I normally take a long time to lock my bike, I have a lot of stuff, and its late at night.

I guess you can't even lust after bikes at the rack here.

Things not so happy with, I am profiled as a bum, they didn't stop me at the bike rack (waited till I was at work), I am nervous now every time I lock my bike up (I must not some how look like a criminal), and I felt like a criminal (the whole police force showed 8 officers, cars, and bikes ).

Things I am happy about my bike should never get ripped off, and I wasn't late to work even after a 10 min. detainment.

Last edited by wheel; 01-08-10 at 06:51 AM.