View Single Post
Old 01-08-10, 12:47 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello from Norcal!

I am a late-to-the-party bike nerd. Not sure how this happened, but in the past 4-5 years I have owned around a dozen bikes- 6 of which I still have. This phenomenon is even more perplexing when I account for the fact that I never rode bikes at all as a teenager, hated them in fact, and even when I was a child mine were always Target "mountain bikes."
It started with a cruiser I bought to get around during college... then a road bike to get around faster during college, that needed some repairs, and damn if I was going to spend that much money to get a $50 junker fixed up, if I had that kind of money I would have just bought a new bike! So I went on the internet to learn how to do it myself. Now, 5 years later, I work at a shop and own a full suspension mountain bike, a fixie, a road bike, a beater town bike, a beater touring/grocery bike, and a beach cruiser. I love them all, and though I know I own more bikes than I could possibly need, I can't really fathom the thought of selling off any of them for various reasons. Of course, they all stay in the house. The backseat of my car is covered in dirt and grease. I commute to work by bike, usually grocery shop by bike, and if I have a day off, I go for a nice long ride. I have my priorities straight.