Old 01-09-10, 12:23 AM
gocam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the comments - I think what I'll try and do tomorrow is try out some of the bikes in the area I'd been looking at, with an IGH, and perhaps compare with a road bike, and a single gear model - maybe the Trek District or such if I can find.

I'll be sure to report back - g.

Originally Posted by kmcrawford111
Sorry, I've never used any other bike with an IGH, so I have nothing firsthand to compare it to. But I have read other posts on here that have stated that the i-9 is the easiest for wheel changing.

The brakes work very well, but I've also never used a bike with hydraulic brakes.

The big is indeed heavy, and that's really the main reason why I prefer to ride my road bike when the roads are clear. There's a huge difference, especially in the rear. Not that I'm not capable of commuting daily with the Dixon - I did so for a year and a half (14 mi RT), until I bought the road bike. If your commute is 10 mi RT and you're in decent shape you'll be fine. If it's 10 miles each way, I'd consider getting something lighter, at least if you can use a road bike most of the time. Though I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a bike like the Dixon also. Having the Dixon and the road bike gives me nice versatility, and they're more or less interchangeable.