Old 01-09-10, 01:25 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
I notice many dedicated commuter here. Including those who commute in freezing weather and in the rain. I do not commute Winter time because of my crazy early mourning shift and distant of my work (25mi/way)...

My question is simple: Do anyone notice they get sick less if you commute in the winter time instead of driving? Or does some of ya do get more cold and fever from Winter commute being out in the cold?.....
This is a good question and while I have only anecdotal evidence to respond with I would say that, "Yes." I seem to suffer less colds, flus and infections when I am regularly riding in the cold and wet weather.

Why? I'm not sure. Sometimes I wonder if exercising to the point of raising the body temperature every day for a fairly extended period works in a similar fashion to a fever and makes an unwelcoming environment for germs that might otherwise linger. Or is it that the body is breathing more, moving phlegm and fluids and "breaking up potential infections? I really have no idea. I just know I've been on an incredibly busy schedule this fall and winter and have managed to bike pretty much every day and stave off several colds that I felt coming on but never really took hold- thank goodness. Naturally, rest, fluids and healthy eating will contribute to keep colds and flu at bay as well.

It would be worth making conducting a study on the topic.

PS So sorry to hear about your "mourning" shift- sounds terribly depressing.