Old 04-01-05, 12:51 PM
Big Bad John

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX, Tour Easy EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Advice for a Fat Guy.

I recently bought a SUN EZ Sport CX (Cro-Mo frame) equipped with the rear rack and fenders for recreational/fitness riding and commuting. I may want to do some short tours later...probably not self-contained to start with. I'm very much pleased with my entry into the bent world and am pleased with the bike overall with the exception of the rims used to build the wheels. I chose the moly frame model over it's aluminum twin due to my large size and great weight, but HATE the single-wall rims that came on this thing. They simply refuse to stay true (especially the front) and I've got less than 250 miles on the bike.

I'm going to reuse the hubs that came on the bike (Shimano Alivio) and will build new wheels with much stronger (and truer) rims. Both hubs are 36-hole, so I belive that I'll have enough strength for the casual riding that I'm doing now without upgrading to 40-hole or 48-hole tandem hubs. Rather than spend a fortune on upgrades, if my needs require a bullet-tough tourer, I'll spend the dough and get an Easy Racers model spec'd to my needs, probably with Aerospokes. But just starting out after a 20-year absence from cycling, I don't want to get caught in 'the upgrade trap' until I'm more sure of my needs and wants and what's available to suit those needs. I need a recommendation on the rims (26" rear - 20" front) for my new wheels and also some ideas on spokes. I'm not too concerned with weight, just want the durability and reliability that a strong wheel provides. If possible, I would like a matched set of wheels. Also, I believe that a welded joint is superior to a pinned or sleeved joint. Any ideas on this?

I'm 6' 4" and 300 lbs. I've dropped about 40 lbs. so far and my goal is 235 lbs. For me, 235 lbs. will truly be thin, but I'll still need a strong set of wheels even at that weight. Thanks in advance everyone for any advice you can give. BBJ

PS - I also posted this over at BROL just so I didn't miss anyone who might have a jewel of advice.