View Single Post
Old 01-12-10, 04:09 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobba
Do you mean brake adapters?
Yes, brake adapters. Sorry for mixing up the terminology. I got it figured out with a little more looking, thanks.

Originally Posted by bikinfool
Well, your details are certainly lacking. But "I'll save you the story, but now I need to replace the post mounts as my calipers are hanging free right now" just leaves me scratching my head and saying wtf? Ship what back? WTF are you doing?
Okay, what do you need to know? I didn't like my X5 stuff, so I switched to some LX hydros. They didn't come with new brake adapters, so when I sold my used X5 brakes, I didn't include the adapters when I shipped them to the buyer. He called and said he wanted them and that it is usually part of the package. I'm new to MTB's so I trusted what he said and shipped the existing mounts to him. That leaves me with my current calipers just hanging there. Hence the need to replace them with new ones. Happy?

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Sounds like you're converting to LX hydro calipers and keeping the Avid rotors... am I right? If so, an Avid adapter will have to be your choice, as Avid's 185 rotors are pretty much proprietary. Almost everyone else uses 180.

I'm a bit lazy, so I'm not going to try and look up the LX calipers; are they also post mount, or are they IS? (IS has holes about 2" apart that take a screw that goes in sideways; post mounts go in toward the fork.)

Adapters make the fork and caliper fit together; if they mount differently, there are adapters that do that.
Yep, LX calipers on Avid rotors.

Thanks for the help, looks like I got it figured out.