BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fast Cloud
I used an old weed eater shaft as suggested by someone in this sub forum way back when. As you can see it puts a lot of weight on the hitch. (too much, it seems to me) Still, no probs so far. I just cut out the seat and slapped down a stiff piece of plastic for the floor. As ugly as it is, it keeps the groceries dry and the cars on edge. I've carried a propane tank and countless groceries including a fat watermelon and a bunch of 2 ltr. bottles. I wonder if there's a way to shift some of the weight to the rear.
I personally think the tow arm is a tad to long? I'd shorten it by maybe a foot or so. With a heavy load onboard, if you hit a bump/pothole in the road the long tow arm is going to flex and maybe eventually snap. As to putting more weight towards the rear of the trailer, you could try extending the loadbed a little further out behind the wheels. The extended loadbed would not be covered by the trailer canopy unless you added some kind of cover? You could just bolt some sort of box/basket onto the extended part and put the heavier items in that, this would balance up the trailer a bit more and take pressure off the tow arm.
A sheet of thinish plywood as a new loadbed - inside the trailer with a little hanging out outback - to carry your tinned goods, dont matter if tins get wet

Regards
Tom