Old 01-19-10, 09:02 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
How long are you going? Depending on the type of trip you want, I would second several of the suggestions already in this thread:

45-60 miles per day and chance to explore local towns and nature, and you enjoyed the Pacific NW - then I'd definitely recommend the Canadian Maritimes. Somewhat more populated and touristy areas can be found in parts of Nova Scotia and PEI. Less populated and wilder areas can be found in other parts of Nova Scotia and particularly Newfoundland and Labrador. Weather might be a little more volatile in Newfoundland though tolerable in July/August. Mixture of French speaking and English speaking also found in New Brunswick.

Not too many hills and good weather and a relaxed nice ride makes it a good time for Northern Australia. During my entire time north of Tropic of Capricorn, I only had rain once when visiting and really enjoyed my time riding through the north. A week or two is easily done near Darwin but if you're looking for more extended time you'll probably concentrate more on the nature part as towns can be few and far between.

An area perhaps a bit more exotic would be a ride through Ukraine. I rode through Ukraine and Southern Russia four years ago and the more populated European regions were definitely an interesting ride. Towns aren't too far apart - there is a lot to see and it hasn't developed as far as Western Europe goes. There are hilly bits but also ways to cycle around.

Finally, I wouldn't completely discount either Alaska or the Canadian Northwest in Yukon, NWT or BC. Even though Alaska is US, it is still a little different touring there than in Pacific Northwest.