Old 01-20-10, 10:35 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Crankset recommendations

I'm looking to replace my FSA Gossamer triple crankset with a CX-specific double. I'm looking for something in the $200-ish or less price range. I think I want an external bottom bracket unless someone can convince me I shouldn't want that.

I want this for CX racing, but I'm not particularly fast or powerful, and I'm not entire certain I could really distinguish Shimano Tourney from SRAM Red, but I want something nice. I've got Shimano 10-speed components on the bike right now.

It looks like the leading candidates are:

FSA Omega
FSA Gossamer
FSA Energy
FSA SL-K ($220 on eBay?)
SRAM S300
SRAM Rival
Bontrager Race

The only data I have two distinguish them are price, weight and gearing. I'd like to add your opinions and experiences to that.

I'd like to hear some input on the gearing choices. I like the idea of 46-36 better than 46-38, but I can see the advantages of the latter. I think I'd prefer 110-bcd because it give me the option of throwing on a smaller granny gear for road riding. I'm open to suggestion here.

I'd also like to hear some thoughts on crank length. I have 170mm cranks on all my bikes right now. I've used 175 before on a MTB-ish commuter and 165 on a fixie. I was considering 172.5 but I'm not sure what the advantages are.

So, talk to me.