Old 01-21-10, 01:46 PM
Carcinogent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sturmey Sprinter 5 Internals into a Sturmey S-RF3 hub? Is it possible?

Hi I have a S-RF3 SA hub and they gear steps are a little too big for me. After doing some research I came to the old(ish) Sturmey Archer Sprinter 5 speeds. The range and gear steps seem perfect for my taste and cycling style. My question is, since I can get new Sprinter internals would, I be able to just screw them in and fit them in the S-RF3 shell? Last week or so I have been checking instruction manuals and parts lists but I still cannot get a clear answer. I know that as far as the SA 3 speeds go you can swap parts made 50 years apart with no problem. So are the shells and threads identical between the 3 and 5 gear hubs?

I am even considering buying an old SA FW 4 speed (similar gear steps, one less high gear, however, difficult to find control rod and parts), according to parts manuals threads and caps are identical to the SA AW 3 speed. I know for certain that AW internals fit into an S-RF3 shell. See link:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17531.msg314519

By just changing the internalA all I'll need is a new shifter instead of a whole new wheel rebuilding.

Thanks in advance. Any input is appreciated.

-Carcinogent

Last edited by Carcinogent; 01-21-10 at 02:22 PM.