View Single Post
Old 01-23-10, 02:56 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slcbob
This is not a stealth operation. She's read in and we're pondering together. So she thinks the prospects are worth prospecting.

Thanks for the other tid-bits. Obviously there are a great number of details, and the devil is probably in them.
Now that I see where you live, let me add one more issue that you will want to consider. (I spent most of my career in D.C. and gave up riding on the streets there because of increased traffic congestion and aggressive driving. I retired to the far northern US Rockies, I'm west of Glacier National Park, to get away from that type of congestion. Although I love D.C. the logistics of living there were getting worse every year, along with my patience for putting up with it's complications. I spent far too many hours of my life sitting in traffic jams on the beltway.) Drivers don't recognize e-bikes as being different from ordinary bikes and riders have to be cautious about utilizing too much speed. The combination of a driver being unprepared for a fast-moving e-bike coupled with an e-bike rider who may not have beefed up safety systems, like brakes, and who is too casual about the increased danger that speed presents is an accident in the making. If you don't really ride roads, then make sure the trails you may ride don't ban e-bikes. Congress banned e-bikes from trails that receive federal funding unless a particular state specifically authorizes the use of electric bicycles on such trails (Public Law 105-178).