View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 12:27 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IronMac
Hi all,

Last night I was out with a group of riders and while they were enthusiastic, fast riders they were doing incredibly dangerous things on the road. Now, this is not a racing group or anything like that, just a group of like-minded riders who decided to get together for a night ride.

Some of the stuff they were doing included:

- blowing past red lights
- almost no hand signaling
- no looking over shoulders before changing lanes
- crossing intersections while in the wrong position of the lane so that they cycle across the lane to get to the outside where they belong
- leaders who zoom off without the rest of the group
- passing indiscriminately
- sidling (past me) into the blind spots of trucks and buses while at reds
- weaving side to side in the lane

Now, I don't normally ride with groups so I have very limited experience with riding with anyone else (my normal bicycling partner would have freaked but she's a racer) so maybe this is typical of all group rides? All I kept thinking was that this group was asking for an accident soon because car traffic here in Singapore is pretty fast and heavy.

So, should I just not ride with these people and just do it myself? Am I being too critical? I love night riding and there is safety in numbers, one of the good things about this group is that they have a lot of lights on but nothing will save you if you're in a blind spot somewhere.
What is the group ride leader’s response? Sometimes some of those actions happen in one of our group rides but the offending rider is most often teased unmercifully at the very next opportunity, peer pressure. If it continues the group leader is often asked to address the problem before the next ride. Or is this not an organized group?