Old 04-04-05, 03:57 AM
sabina
Sabina Alexandriu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, marmotte!

We do have tarmac roads as well as gravel/forestry roads or even mountain routes.
The tarmac roads in Romania are not so good, especially in the spring, after all the winter snow....There are often many holes in the road, but this is why we do our tours with cross-country bikes (hybrid) or mountain bikes. Most of the tarmac roads are suitable for hybrids.

I assume the road is not suitable for racing cycles because of the road conditions...you can do it , but on the crowded routes, where the tarmac is very good. The other routes are quite remote, not mant cars, but the tarmac is not that good.

About security: as I was saying....we prefer to do our tours on the most quiet roads, not too many cars. But there are animals, like cows or sheep, in the perimeter of the villages, and these animals may be on the road, passing. Apart from that, no other animals bother us when cycling.

You can manage conversation in Romanian using French, English and some speak German (more in Transylvania). Although the old people do not speak foreign languages, you can always find someone to speak English, French or German (usually people from cities and young people all over the country speak a forein language or at least understand it).

The Carpathians are quite comparable to the lower Alps, excepting the section with Fagarash Mountains and other high mountains, which are more "alpine": big valleys, more elevation difference, etc.

Glad to know you are interested and of course, you can ask more questions if you want. I'd be glad to answer.

Sabina