View Single Post
Old 04-04-05, 05:07 AM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phidauex
I'd say any bike that doesn't have usability as its highest design goal is a 'silly' bike, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I'd say choppers are very silly, but I still love em.

Anyway, custom bikes aren't really discussed anywhere here, with the vague exception of some custom performance frames in the track section. I think a custom bike forum could include everything from the cruisers and choppers up through the more wacky bikes. I mean, there can't be THAT many of us, and you don't want to spread things too thin too soon, you know?

peace,
sam
It seems everyone is focusing on the 'chopper' part of 'cruiser / chopper / lowrider' title or assuming that enthusiasts are all customizing the choppers they are buying. There are a few manufacturers who make a very rideable, comfortable and functional chopper now that don't need a lot of modifications. I have been commuting my usual 10 mile (5 each way) approx. on a Giant Stiletto the past few weeks and am impressed with its comfort, speed and, of course, style. The Nirve choppers are also efficient bikes that I'd consider commuting on. I usually ride a Fuji Shangri-la 3-speed beach cruiser and have commuted on it daily for two years, but the Stiletto is faster. I have also commuted on my new Firebike (7.6 ft long stretch-cruiser). I wouldn't consider any of these bikes for long commutes or trail riding or touring or anything like that, but is that the only measure of bicycling? James Haury questions the functionality of choppers (doesn't mention beach-cruisers, etc though) and asks whether you'd take one on a 20-mile ride. Of course not. They aren't designed for that. If I enjoyed (and my back could handle being bent forward for 20 miles) long commutes I'd have a light-weight touring bike, but is that the only kind of riding we do? Don't we also take short local trips, rides down to the beach or boardwalk, through parks, etc? That's what a chopper is for. And yes, they are all about the bling-bling, but they have become more than that in recent years with multi-speed (my Stiletto is 7-speed) and other new technology (disc brakes). And, yes, customizers love to make them unique.

My point is not everyone is riding 20 mile trips everywhere all the time. We also ride for fun and that's where a cruuiser / chopper section would be aimed: at the fun side of cycling. Use the touring, racing and road bikes for what they're intended for and use cruisers for what they're intended for, that's all.